Monday, August 27, 2007

Camping in Aspen Grove...yes that's right Aspen




This past weekend Vicky's family, Beth's family and I went camping in Aspen Grove just outside of Heber, Utah. It was beautiful and we all had so much fun! It was hilarious because when we arrived the Host told Vicky and Zac that bears frequent the camp sites about 2-3 x/week. This made Vicky paranoid and the rest of us were made to lick up any spills or crumbs that dropped on the table or ground to decrease the chances of an attack. LOL. Since the campsite was so high in elevation (~ 8000 ft) the nights and mornings were chilly. I turned my car on one morning and it registered 36 degrees. I was all set though because I bought this zero degree sleeping bag that kept me nice and toasty...one of those mummy contraptions. We had camp fires, s'mores, and dancing a plenty. We were even treated with a shirtless dance from Chris. The food was great. Vicky put alot of effort into planning the menu. We had foil dinners and dutch oven cobbler the first night. The next AM we had pancakes, which yours truly cooked over an open fire(I still have all of my eye lashes but did sustain a few scalds to my hands, arms and face)sausage, and eggs. Beth and Chris had to leave so they packed up camp and headed home. Vicky, Zac, Jonathan (Zac's Brother), the kids and I all headed down to the resevoir to swim, catch crawfish, and fish. Okay so let me say that this water was freezing! I mean the kind of cold that when you jump in it's hard to catch your breath. Proud to say that I was the first to go in and stay in despite the cold and choppy conditions. I then proceeded to try to fish. Never have done it before but I think I have the basic concept down. I would love to learn more and go fishing again. We all got a little sun and Zac and I got a moderate amount. Just ask Zac about his sunburn...he he he. We had chicken and vegetables in the dutch oven for dinner then s'mores-which are some of my favorite things when camping- That night we were treated with loud neighbors, who were obviously drunk and repeatedly said "Toy Boat" to see who could say it the most times without becoming tongue tied. We were treated to this craziness until about 2 or 3 in the morning. Also...I mean, I like country music, but these folks took it to a whole new level. Lets just say I've had my country fix for the year...maybe two. Woke up made a fire, then had yummy biscuits, sausage and gravy. Packed up camp and we all headed out. Camping was SOOO much fun and I can't wait to go again. I am a little disappointed that we didn't encounter any bears as I'm sure Vicky would echo this sentiment.

4 comments:

Vicky said...

You bet your a$% I was glad there were no bears!

Fetcher said...

Vicky -

Don't you remember? It's okay to say "ass" ... it's in the Bible, isn't it?

Rachel said...

Sounds like you all had a great time. I am so jealous. I want to camp, but we have yet to make the adventure ourselves. Maybe next year Aunt Rachel will go with us!

Rachel said...

Ok, for some reason "the boys" shows as me, Rachel S. I am working on it.